Saturday, August 21, 2010

Should I have my carpet wet or dry shampooed?

I just bought a house that has a bit of a dog smell in it and I want to both get rid of the smell and get my carpets as clean as possible. What are pros/cons for dry vs. wet shampooing?Should I have my carpet wet or dry shampooed?
I have a carpet scrubber that uses hot water and it does a great job. Maybe have a professional do it the first time and then you can do it yourself after that. Bissell makes an additive that you can put in the carpet scrubbers for pet stains and odors that works wonderfully. I used to have 2 dogs and it really done the trick.Should I have my carpet wet or dry shampooed?
Steam cleaned with bleach in the last rinse.
Oder is caused by bacteria. Get your carpet steam cleaned.
good and bad in all things...





I'd try a dry technique first...and go to/call your local humane society or ';petsmart'; type of store....they could probably give you the brand of an effective product to remove the odor, dander, ';soaked in'; urine....etc etc etc


Most dry applications can't reach ';down'; into the piling/underlayment to thouroughly clean ....but a couple of applications seems to do a pretty good job....





The main disadvantage to a wet technique...especially a steamer...is that-depending on the age of the carpet, the underlayer/subflooring and the mastic [if any]...you could loosen the seams of the carpet...';pop up'; at the baseboard...


and unless you use a fairly powerful unit....or a professional grade one....you are assuming that all the liquid is being vacuumed up...rather than soaking into the subflooring...








So.....I'd go with the dry first....

No comments:

Post a Comment